If we’ve let you down, tell us

We want everyone who uses Citizens Advice Monmouthshire County to be happy with the service we provide.

That’s why, if we’ve let you down, we want to hear from you – no matter how big or small the issue is.

Often, we’ll be able to put things right. And even when we can’t, knowing where we’ve gone wrong will help us do better in the future.

We promise to deal with every complaint quickly, professionally and confidentially.

Asking the local Citizens Advice to resolve the problem

It’s important to us to know what we’ve done wrong, so we can do our best to put it right.

Don’t be afraid to speak to us about your complaint. We will often be able to solve the problem straight away.

If we can’t, or you’re still not happy, you can make a formal complaint.

Making a formal complaint

There are several ways to make a complaint. You can write a letter explaining what happened and send it to the address below, or drop it into our office.

Alternatively, you can call or email the Citizens Advice Feedback team using the details below and they will pass your complaint to the right person.

Your complaint will be investigated by someone who isn’t directly involved. If it’s upheld, we’ll apologise fully – and, if appropriate, let you know what we’re doing to put things right.

We aim to respond to every complaint within eight weeks. If it’s going to take longer than this, we’ll explain why and keep you informed of progress.

Asking for a review

If you feel we haven’t dealt with your complaint properly, or you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you can ask us to review the decision.

Please make sure you ask for this within four weeks of receiving the decision by contacting the Feedback team – details on the back of this leaflet. The review will be overseen by our Chief Executive.

Using an independent adjudicator

If you are still not happy with the decision, you can refer your complaint to an independent adjudicator.

An independent adjudicator is someone unconnected with Citizens Advice who will decide whether we’ve dealt with your complaint fairly.

If you want to progress to this stage, you must contact us within four weeks of receiving your review decision from Citizens Advice. Contact the Feedback team using the details below.

Contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free, independent service for clients to solve disputes with not for profit debt advice providers.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will only step in once a local Citizens Advice has had the opportunity to investigate a complaint, so please contact the local service first.

If your complaint is about debt advice or if you were seeking advice about your credit record and you are not satisfied with the final response, or if eight weeks have passed since you first let us know about your concerns, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman to review your complaint.

Who to complain to

Send a letter to the Chief Officer or the Chair of the Trustee Board at the address below:

  • Citizens Advice Monmouthshire County
    5A Church Road
    NP26 4BP

To make a complaint via the national Citizens Advice Feedback team:

  • 03000 231 900
  • feedback@citizensadvice.org.uk
  • Alternatively, you can submit an online complaint with this link

The Immigration Services Commissioner who looks after the standards of immigration advice will investigate complaints about immigration casework. You can make a complaint instead of
approaching your local Citizens Advice or can do so at any stage during the Citizens Advice complaint procedure.

  • Office of the Immigration
    Services Commissioner
    Complaints Team
    5th Floor, 21 Bloomsbury Street
    WC1B 3HF
  • 0207 211 1500
  • 0345 000 0046
  • complaints@oisc.gov.uk
  • Alternatively, you can access the website with  this link
  • Financial Ombudsman Service
    South Quay Plaza
    183 Marsh Wall
    E14 9SR

  • 0800 023 4567 – free for people phoning from a ‘fixed’ line (eg a landline at home)

  • 0300 123 9123 – free for mobile phone users who pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 and 02.

  • complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

  • financial-ombudsman.org.uk