Preparing for your appointment

We are pleased to have been able to arrange an appointment for you. This page has all the information you should need to help you prepare for your appointment or contact us to make a change.

Please note:

Go through the navigation links and check through the information we have provided carefully before your visit.

Information for Clients menu

Cancelling or changing an appointment

Please contact the office that you have been dealing with, view the main offices.

If you can’t come to your appointment we would rather know so that we can offer the slot to someone else.

If you can’t come because you can’t get to us we can conduct your appointment over the telephone, video link, or in exceptional circumstances rearrange to see you in your own home.

If your issue becomes more urgent, especially if you are facing eviction, court action, bailiff action or there is an important deadline looming, please call us and we will do our utmost to fit you in earlier.

What to bring

It speeds things up if you have the information with you that relates to what you are coming to see us about.

Letters, forms, loan statements, receipts etc.

If you are coming to see us about a debt we need to know about all your debts and we will need to see proof of your income such as a payslip or bank statement. We may make copies of these documents but you can hang on to the originals.

If you are coming to see us about a benefits problem or you want to check your entitlement we will need to know what other benefits you are receiving and what income and savings you have.

It is often helpful to know if you have any health conditions that may be affecting the way you live. If you are on medication it is often helpful to know what this is so please bring a list with you. If you have an Occupational Therapy report or a Support Worker Care Plan please bring these with you as well.

What to bring on your local Citizens Advice visit

When you visit your local Citizens Advice, it’s important that the adviser you speak to has as much information about your case as possible. If you don’t bring the necessary paperwork with you, you may have to come back another time. This means it could take you longer to get the help you need.

This page gives you an idea of the kind of information it’s useful to bring with you. If you haven’t got everything that’s shown, don’t worry – bring as much as you can find.

It’s sometimes important to get help as soon as possible because you may only have a short amount of time to take certain action.

Problems with benefits

  • all letters from government departments, such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) e.g. Jobcentre Plus, Pension Service, or the local authority

  • decision letters that you are not happy with or wish to challenge – this is essential

  • your national insurance number

  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits

  • bank statement – latest copy

  • details of any savings

  • tenancy agreement or mortgage details.

Welfare benefit check

If you would like an adviser to check that you are receiving all the benefits and tax credits you’re entitled to, bring the following information for everyone who lives in your home:

  • dates of birth

  • if employed or self-employed – number of hours worked

  • gross income from employment for the last tax year – April 6 to April 5 – a P60 form will provide this, or if self employed, last year’s accounts

  • gross income for this year – payslips or estimate if self-employed

  • if you are currently receiving benefits, bring all the benefit award letters

  • child care costs – details of childcare provider and how much you pay

  • investment income – details of investments and latest interest payments. Bank statements may be the best way to show this

  • tenancy agreement or current mortgage repayment details

  • council tax bill.

Debt and money problems

  • details of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits

  • bank statement – latest copy

  • details of all those that you owe money to and how much – bring the latest statements and demands for payment

  • copy of original loan agreements

  • copy of any court papers

  • details of your household expenditure – how much you spend on food, transport, phone and energy bills etc

  • copy of the latest correspondence you have received – e.g. letters from bailiffs.

Housing problems

  • tenancy agreement, letters from your landlord – if you’re renting

  • mortgage details – if you have a mortgage

  • any court papers

  • title deeds – if you own your home

  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Employment problems

  • copy of your employment contract

  • details of any disciplinary, grievance or dismissal issues

  • any recent letters from your employer

  • staff handbook

  • copy of employment tribunal applications – if you have made any

  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Family and personal issues

  • any paperwork or letters relating to the issue

  • court documents or legal agreements

  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits

  • copy of divorce papers.

Consumer problems

  • full details of the goods or services causing the problem

  • copy of any contracts or credit agreements

  • any recent letters about the problem

  • proof of purchase – such as receipt or credit card slip

  • proof of your income – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Immigration or asylum problems

  • all letters from the Home Office

  • passport and details of any visas or permits

  • proof of your income or NASS support – wage slips, benefit letters, tax credits.

Other problems

Any paperwork, letters or other correspondence relating to the issue.

What to expect

We will provide you with:

  • Confidential advice. We will not tell anyone about your case and will not pass on anything from our records (which are subject to quality control) to anyone outside the Citizens Advice service without your permission, unless we are required to do so by law or it is the right and necessary thing to do. We will respect your data protection rights for any information you provide us. See the How we Look After Your Information page
  • Follow-up work, as agreed between your adviser and yourself. This may include negotiating by letter or phone on your behalf with other bodies. Unless we have specific instructions from you, we shall discuss any offer with you before accepting it. We may be able to offer representation at tribunals or small claims in the county court if the case is appropriate, we have the resources and you comply with what we expect from you (see below).
  • A complaints procedure, if you are not satisfied with the service we have provided. If you wish to complain, please ask for the leaflet on how to do so.

We cannot guarantee to take on all our clients’ cases. We may also have to stop advising you if we believe we cannot progress your case for you or there is no further benefit, or if you fail to do what we expect of you (see below).

We do not have the resources to attend court with you unless there are exceptional circumstances but we will make sure your case if fully prepared and that you know what to expect.

In return, we expect you:

  • To keep appointments you have made with us (or let us know in advance if you can’t).
  • To inform Citizens Advice Monmouthshire County of any changes in your circumstances (such as change of address, birth of a child, additional income etc) which may be relevant to your case.
  • To bring in all the papers relevant to your case which your adviser asks for. This includes notification of court or tribunal dates etc.
  • Not to negotiate on your own behalf without discussing it first with your adviser.
  • Not to turn down an offer from the other party which your adviser considers reasonable in the circumstances in order to have a tribunal or court hearing.
  • To provide written evidence of your income, debts or other financial matters where appropriate. Your adviser will let you know what is needed.
  • To follow our advice – unless you and your adviser agree you should do something different.
  • To be honest with us e.g. by telling us about all your debts and income or what led up to your being asked to leave your employment.
  • To always treat our staff and volunteers with courtesy and respect.

If Citizens Advice Monmouthshire County is representing you and you fail to keep to these undertakings, Citizens Advice Monmouthshire County may decide it is no longer able to represent you.

You should also remember that if a tribunal or court considers that you have pursued your case in an unreasonable way or without any real chance of success, or you have failed (without good reason) to meet its deadlines, it can make you pay the other side’s costs.

Please note that we cannot offer transport to or from courts and tribunals.


You can view and get directions to each main office and outreach by accessing the correct page below.

About us

Every year at Monmouthshire County Citizens Advice we help around 2,750 people from our local communities from our offices and outreaches across Monmouthshire County. We specialise in Welfare Benefits, Debt and Consumer advice but we can advise on all areas of welfare rights. We help people respond to official letters, complete official forms and respond to difficult situations. We help people make complaints and get things put right when they have gone wrong.

What we are here for

Life is complicated, people need advice get over the problems they face so they can get on with their lives.

We help people find a way forward, resolve their problems and equip them to manage better next time.

Free, Independent, Quality Assured, non Judgmental and Confidential Advice.

We are a charity limited by guarantee based in Chepstow. We have grant funding of nearly £400,00 annually from a variety of funding sources with National, Regional and Local Government.

Our organisation is run by a Board of Trustees who are drawn from the local community for their experience, knowledge and expertise.

We are funded from governmental sources are but independent of them.

We are part of the national Citizens Advice Service for England & Wales

We hold the Advice Quality Standard with casework in Welfare Benefits and are recognised under the Welsh Government Information & Advice Quality Framework.

We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

How we use your information

You can view our data protection and privacy policy by accessing the page below.

Make a complaint

You can view our complaints process by accessing the page below.

Still can’t find what you’re looking for?

Contact us directly and we will be able to guide you.